Presenter: Diane Edgar, Education Service Center Region IV
Session Description: What does your best friend, your boss, and your cousin have in common? It's likely they have been "friended" by you! Social networking is a powerful communication tool but it is also a play ground for predators. Explore the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- 1 out of every 7 youth in the US received an online solicitation.
- 1 out of 11 youth received an aggressive online solicitation
- 1 out of 25 were targeted by online predators.
- 900 cases were tried in Texas last year and all were prosecuted.
- 12-15 Yr Olds are victimized at the rate of 84% higher than the general population
- Only a fraction of all episodes was reported.
- This is because the students don't want to lose their privileges.
- 1 out of 4 of the youth who encountered a sexual approach or solicitation told an adult. They don't want to lose privileges.
- 62 percent of students can have phone at school but not in class
- 55 percent of teens report texting in class
Out of all Internet crime, only 1 percent is contributed to sexual predators.
40 to 50 percent is contributed to cyberbullying
CIPA - Children's Internet Protection Act 2001
- It is not actually a law.
- It is a policy.
- Schools receiving Erate must certify that they have an Internet safety policy.
- Schools must have at least one public meeting a year to address this proposal.
- This added language to CIPA about teaching students about CyberSafety